Hamilton Township Fire Department
Founded by Jack Jones in 1944, Hamilton Township Fire Deparment has grown from an all volunteer department with just one fire engine (built by Jack Jones himself) to a full-service, fully paid department with two fire stations, three fire engines, four paramedic units, one ladder truck, one grassfighter, one station truck, two chief's cars and one rescue boat.
Jack Jones was the first fire chief of Hamilton Township. In those days, when a fire call came in, the fire engine would drive through the old part of Obetz and pick up the volunteer firefighters, who would respond to the emergency. The first fire station was operated out of Jack Jones's gas station on Obetz Ave.
Times have changed since then. Hamilton Township Fire Department is now dispatched by the City of Columbus using state-of-the-art computer and GPS dispatching technology. Jack Jones was succeeded by Paul Stimpfle who served from 1960-1987, who was succeeded by Jerry Lupfer until 2010. Hamilton Township Fire Department is now under the command of Ralph Shillingburg.
Jack Jones oversaw the dedication of Hamilton Township's Station 171 in 1957, and Station 172 was built in 1993 under the command of Jerry Lupfer.
Hamilton Township Fire Department has since gone from a volunteer department, to a department with thirty-eight full-time and part-time employees.
For more historical information about Hamilton Township Fire Department click here.